T H E C A L A M I T Y K I D

'You only work in a shop you know. You can drop the attitude." EDINA MONSOON

Monday 14 November 2011

PLACES: THE GRANT MUSEUM OF ZOOLOGY


THOSE OF A NERVOUS DISPOSITION LOOK AWAY NOW...
What better way to shake off the Monday blues than with a trip to the cabinet of curiosities at the Grant Museum of Zoology. My personal highlight was listening to one of the researchers there explain to a film-maker wanting to use their only human skull of the care and respect that must go into using such a precious item. Then casually leaving said skull lying around on one of the tables.

 I will warn you... I deliberately took photos of some of the grossest and stomach churning specimens. Some photos I actually deleted as they made me feel sick (a jar of sea worms. Yuck!). It's a haven of strange things in jars, dissected creatures, skeletons hung from the ceilings, colossal elephant skulls, velvet worms and crabs, smiling rhino skulls and taxidermy wonders. So without futhur ado...



A jar of moles. Obviously.




Bare brains. What made me laugh is how the jars resemble my Marc Jacobs perfume (minus the brains. obvs.)






Skippy.









Rhino colgate smile.















HUMAN SKULL! 

MISSING HUMAN SKULL!


Straight from a Tim Burton set.




ANACONDA!






Hairy toad. Not just an expression for ex-boyfriends.




Swinging chimp.

Jaws. He got me.

Sea mice. Their hairs look holographic. MEGA. GROSS.

An octopus the size of a tack.

2 comments:

  1. Oh ellaaaaaaaaaaa! i guess it ties in with the rest of ucl in terms of weirdness though haha xx

    ReplyDelete