T H E C A L A M I T Y K I D

'You only work in a shop you know. You can drop the attitude." EDINA MONSOON

Monday 5 December 2011

PLACES: THE EAST LONDON DESIGN SHOW & TWEE VOMIT

The East London Design Show promised a 'hugely refreshing alternative to the humdrum conformity of the high street.' What it really offered was a twee plethora of  affectedly naive illustrations and prints, contrived 'vintage-inspired' jewellery, and a platform for the self-consciously 'alternative' to showcase their wares which ironically wouldn't have looked that out of place at Debenhams. OK. A little harsh? As I walked away I asked my boyfriend, 'Am I a horrible, cynical hipster snob?' But after doing the rounds and seeing a million gazillion stale prints of whimsical owls and sparrows, and jewellery with dainty miniature Eiffel Towers, hearts and wishbones the formulaic supposed 'quirkyness' of it all had made me thoroughly depressed. I wanted to spend my money, honestly I did, but not on something I could have easily purchased from Paperchase or Cath Kidson.

Not everything made me want to claw my own eyes out. Some of it was genuinely interesting, fresh and innovative. Here were my favorite pieces...
Stunning rings by Linnie McLarty. Seriously check her website, some amazing treasures all ethically  sourced.




Atmospheric and dramatic lamps by Latorre Cruz.




Feeding my current obsession for perspex and plastic jewellery, I fell for these odd, playful bangles by Nancy McAllister from student collective The Product Palace.


2 comments:

  1. those pseudo-taxidermy lampshades are lovely, sort of elegant and goth and pretty. Although they break my cardinal rule that lampshades should hide the bulb.... maybe around this though http://www.johnlewis.com/222915/Product.aspx?

    loving the army men bangles, she's managed to turn perspex and melted toys into something redolent of greek sculpture http://www.yourbrushwiththelaw.com/_pictures/08_euphronious_vase_middle.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, that was my only critique of them too. Esepcially with a cheap glaring lightbulb! Those john lewis bulbs are awesome! I never thought I'd be saying that about a light bulb from John Lewis!

    I'm slightly regretting not buying the perspex military men bangles. They were awesome and would have provided a nice flash of colour in my usually dull wardrobe. xx

    ReplyDelete