T H E C A L A M I T Y K I D

'You only work in a shop you know. You can drop the attitude." EDINA MONSOON

Thursday 1 December 2011

ART: MICHELLE RASHMAN



























We used to call a certain bestfriend's ex an 'emotional cripple.' He was. She dumped him and got herself a much better, far less emotionally stunted boyf. Thank God. So when I saw Michelle Howarth Rashman's highlighter coloured framed knit, I just had to investigate what it was all about.

I don't know about you but when I read a lot of artist press releases, and their exhibition explanations I usually read through going ''oooh, oh riiight, ahhhh, ummmm...' eventually trailing off after the first paragraph, skim reading and generally not knowing what the hell I'm supposed to be looking at. Not that I want to be told how I should feel about it, but a little context would usually be nice. I was plesantly surprised with this offering. No pretentious buzz word art speak, just simple explanations. At last! So I can give you the gist... the figurative sculptures showcase a response to the ideas of feminity and beauty. I loved them. They are both sinister yet wildly funny. Grotesque but hugely engaging.  Sensitive but not twee or apologetic. YES.

Contradictory to say the least. But hey, that's what being a woman is all about right? Ya know, we're supposed to be groomed, fuzz-free, shoe-lusting, baby-booming, shiny haired, gracious creatures who don't perspire, burp and definately don't curse. But let's be real, most of us aren't (thank-god! Can you imagine how boring this would be? No Thanks. I'll take my women crazy, loud and hairy legged thank-you very much.) But this isn't supposed to be alright. Our constant striving to be this ridiculously unattainable angel of beauty often leaves us looking slightly ridiculous, unnatural (hello spray tans), uncomfortable and for me, this exhibition sums this up. Maybe this is what the artist had in mind, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment