T H E C A L A M I T Y K I D

'You only work in a shop you know. You can drop the attitude." EDINA MONSOON

Saturday 28 May 2011

INTERNATIONAL ALTERNATIVE PRESS FESTIVAL, MAY 28TH 2011


O.K. So I'm not going to start pretending that I'm a totally switched on zine/comics/ illustration geek, which seems to be a prevailing trend right now, but hey, I can appreciate an articulated picture, and well thought out story, no matter how quirky/political/controversial. And with this in mind off I went to the International Alternative Press Festival, at Conway Hall. It's a cute button of a building tucked away in Red Lion Square, marketed as a landmark for London's independent intellectual, cultural and political life - which would explain why I'd never heard of it.

The hall in which the fest was taking place was actually kinda small for the amount of stalls, which meant I knocked into a number of people as I stumbled around, with my rucksack taking people out left, right and center but it gave the whole event a sense of buzz and intimacy, which essentially worked. 

I have to admit, I was drawn to the more feminine, pretty-pretty girl zines and illustrators, as demonstrated by my photos, but there was a whole heap of styles and stories, and a broad scale of seriousness and mentalness (a zine which shouted in bold, heavy type from its front cover '101 WAYS DIANA COULD HAVE DIED' was one example of something a bit more insane on offer), which made it interesting stuff. Not to mention an upstairs library, where one could finely contemplate a whole bunch of zines, without the feeling that you were being watched by their protective authors like at the stalls.


COLLEMOKI


SARAH JULIA CLARK



JOHN MIERS

 HEUBERGER

Zines. Hot off the press (or photocopier)



Pin Cushions of Hate... I can't remember who made these beauts... soz.





 It's a zine library. Duh.




No comments:

Post a Comment